IT'S THE BLUES

Saturday, April 08, 2006

A CD REVIEW...

A CD REVIEW. THE MESCAL SHEIKS...



Well I’ve been a bit busy lately and have had things sort of piling up on my stereo, my DVD player and my desk, but I am finally getting a handle on things, and getting caught up, and figured I would start writing some reviews, I have a few DVD’s to get to and some Cd’s and such. I have time for one right now but I promise to get some more posted very soon so lets get started…


First up is a band out of Los Angeles called the Mescal Sheiks, I was turned onto them from a friend on myspace. Yes I am a part of that odd and interesting cyber universe and I’ve discovered it’s a pretty good place to find new music, some old favorites
(not to mention some really awesome, classic style Pin-up models) and it’s constantly growing. Anyhow the Cd is called ’This World Is not My Home’ released on BlueCap Records and I like this little gem… Initially I wasn’t sure about it, I knew that the playing was solid, but at first listen the vocals, seemed a little thin, but then after a couple of re-plays you realize that the singing is actually terrific and suited perfectly to the rural, southern - soul, blues R&B, gospel feel of the disc. Caleb Hangan sings with a relaxed confidence that is a little deceiving, he’s solid throughout with deep emotion and subtle expressiveness. The band to with it’s core of Rick Solem on Keyboards and vocals, Rick Smith on Harmonica and Dean Sterling Guitar and Vocals - they are augmented here with various bass, drum, percussion, and horn players as well as some extra backing vocals, they are a well equipped and talented bunch, providing heartfelt backing, whether it’s a straight blues or a more ethereal old school southern R&B sound they seem to be just right for each songs style and intent. Never overstated or over powering, they seem to always be right in the pocket keeping a steady groove and driving the vibe home straight through your ears and into the deep reaches of your soul. The Mescal Sheiks are an interesting and talented group and with a bit of luck should receive some great recognition as their music takes hold…
The Cd can be purchased through their website at:
www.mescalsheiks.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home